Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Rocky Horror"


 
 
October 26th my older sister and I went out on a limb and accepted our coworkers request for us to come see his show “Rocky Horror Picture Show” with his very own shadow cast at the state theater. The State theater, what in my mind had always had a school association soon progressed to not just a place where I have class, but a place where people can have an interesting unique artistic experience.

Just off the edge of the Penn State University Park is the State Theater, some people may know it as a part of the campus considering the fact that the theater offers its facilities to a number of film study  classes during the day ( including the course I am currently taking called Communications 150). Now before my sister and I went to see this show we had next to no idea what we were getting ourselves into, the most we experienced was the “Glee” episode remaking the film in a theatrical show (which is yet another medium the film is expressed).  So basically we had no idea. We attempted to ask around and see what it would be about but no one quite gave us a proper definition.

As we walked up to the state theater around midnight again the night of the 26th by sister and I were a little apprehensive. As we walked up to the entrance of the state theater we were graced with the view of the shadow cast,  a group of men and women in fish nets high heels  and tons of makeup. Feeling a bit out of our element we tried to escape into the theater without pulling any attention to ourselves. After buying our cherry coke, large popcorn and small package of twizzler’s my sister and I looked to find a comfortable yet private spot to sit.  

As the film began and my sister and I attempted to watch the movie we found it hard to concentrate! While attempting to watch the shadows cast and watch the movie that audience would yell and then break out in laughter over and over! This really was not something I was accustom too! I was used to the audience who shut off their phone and whispered to their friend!  “Rocky Horror” apparently to my surprise is a type of call and response and relies on the audience interaction, which is what made it so iconic and different then the other films during the time. After struggling to hear the movie the audience began throwing things toward the stage for example toilet paper by the rolls was thrown and unraveled until it reached the actors on stage.   Even though at the beginning of the experience I felt extremely uncomfortable by the end of the film when everyone stood up and danced while throwing confetti at the end of the film I gladly stood up a joined.

What I learned from this experience is always google what you don’t understand hahaha! Always find a way to inform yourself on what you are headed to be because you may actually have a chance to enjoy the event more! That night was a blast and extremely fun even though I was outside of my comfort zone. I’ve learned from that that art of any form can open your horizon to new things and different experiences that you may find interesting! So open up and allow yourself to discover those events. Now I need to actually watch “Rocky Horror” on my own to hear the story line so maybe I wont be quite as confused :P and maybe some of the comments I heard shouted at the screen will make some kind of sense :P who knows ?

No comments:

Post a Comment