Saturday, November 24, 2012

Art of the Unseen


 

 
Ever since my English class in 12th grade I have vowed to love and appreciate the little things in life. It all started when we had to go around that room and say something about ourselves. Me being a girl born and raised in State College, being one of a family of seven and never having left the country never quite had the most interesting to say. So this time, this time I sat in my chair as people spout off about their trip to Rome over the summer, or their family vacations to the beach. I sat and wondered what I could talk about my summer simply consisted of television most days with my routine morning schedule of    Wheel of Fortune then the Fresh Prince of Bel Air and then about mid afternoon I went to work at Giant, I really used that as an escape.  As the flow of voices stopped I realized it was my turn to share.  I found myself talking about the plethora of candy I bought and enjoyed and my different work experiences. Sure my discussion of candy and my embarrassing work stories defiantly interested me however I didn’t quit get the ideal reaction from my audience.
 

Much of the art the world has to offer goes unnoticed, unappreciated and undiscovered and my goal from now on is to make the undiscovered seen by not only myself but by the masses. Just by becoming more aware of our surroundings along with being a part of your surroundings you can see a lot more beauty in the world. Looking at such obvious beauty like the Arboretum this year proves to me that the same amount of beauty can be found in the simplest way it’s just a matter of your eyes being open to truly see what’s in front of you.






One dark Friday afternoon I sluggishly left my political science class walking down the same road down towards the hub. My head bent tiredly towards the pavement and my eyes were caught in the beautiful fall pattern of the pathways. I asked myself “How have you never seen this before?” After that first moment of recognition I find the mosaic of leaves caught in my train of thought and caught in my heart. I’ve learned slowly but surely to appreciate the beauty of the pathways that so consciously lead me to my class even if I am not quite conscious myself.
 


It's the subtle art that captures my heart. It’s the subtle are that carries our environments beauty every day. The unseen art allows us to breathe in fresh air and relax when stress consumes our mind. My perception of art is no longer restricted to the art in museums or the places entitled with regard and wonder. My heart has taken a liking to the simple wonders of the world.  I’m reminded how a simple cup of hot chocolate can make my evening, how looking out the winder with a nice winter frost can be cozy and refreshing. How a simple flower with missing petals if given to you by the one you love can hold so much meaning and love. The simple things even though they are not quite profound mean the most to me and hold the utmost respect and appreciation in my heart.  So I’ll leave you with a simple question. Take a look at your surroundings and where you are sitting, does anything catch your eye?

* Sorry pictures worked for a while and stopped working hahaha im not quite sure what happened...hrmm

1 comment:

  1. Fix your spacing...
    Don't feel down about any lack of eventful times in you life. That just means anything else that comes along will be that much more exciting!I'm not sure if it's totallyfair to say we underappreciate things as much as we take them for granted. Walking along campus is an interesting mix of nature and infrasctucture, and I do see a sort of art in that like you. Yes, by the way, there are plenty of things in the world to wonder at.

    ReplyDelete