Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Lets Get it Started"- Black Eyed Peas


Title: The title of my blog "Sweet Concoctions" is more versatile then people think of at first glance. Originally I had intended for it to represent my love for sugar of any kind. As I continued to think of other titles I discovered more meaning within this title, the one I originally started with. According to dictionary.com the word "Concoction" is a synonym for the words “medley, mixture and blend”. This title not only represents what I love but it also represents the subject this blog will address, the arts at Penn State. A mixture of art will be expressed and analyzed throughout this blog. There will be a concoction of thoughts, responses and emotions intermixed during my exploration of the university. The definition of a Blog to me is now defined as a “concoction”. The word “sweet” within my title reflects my personal outlook on the arts. The arts as a whole are very much a part of my life and always will be. Over time I have found the arts to be low pressure, expressive, distressing and very fun. Therefore “Sweet Concoctions” is the exact translation of “The Arts at Penn State” in my mind, and continues to define every day of my life.  

 
Font: The font of my blog varies according to the spot you are looking at. The font of my title and my page titles is called “Pacific”. It is a bold, thick and swirly font that portrays the “Sweet” aspect of my blog with a bold kick. This font shows my opinion of the arts positive influence on society and my belief of the arts impact on society. The thickness of the font (because I did bold it) is to show the reader that I am making bold, blunt and clear points about the arts within my posts, just as art does everyday within t he community. The font of my posts is black with a white blog post background. I first did this for contrast as you can see my background it pretty busy so I needed to simplify an area so the reader can see the posts clearly. Along with this idea I thought a white background would pop against the intense color allow my writing to stand out even more. The font of the posts is called “Verdana” it is clean, easy to read and very straight forward for the reader.


Template/ Background: The template and arrangement of my blog was simply strategic with the reader in mind. You can clearly see the pages of my blog on the right side of the screen (and they are white so they are also easily located!). The middle section is for my posts, leaving the center of the page for the most important aspect of my blog ( will draw peoples attention to the center of the page). I placed my title in the upper left hand corner of the page so the readers can clearly identify the title and what my blog may contain. The background of my blog is actually a picture I took myself. It's not only a photograph of beautifully concocted fireworks and colors, it represents a concoction of community efforts. It’s a picture of the local and annual State College Fourth Fest fireworks. Rightfully one of the best fireworks shows in the country. I have been born and raised in this very town and seen it through thick and thin. When I hear the words “State College” my brain doesn’t automatically think of Penn State or the Nittany Lions or Sandusky, I simply think of the word home. These fireworks I have seen every single year since I was three years old, sitting in my dad’s lap fidgeting and eating a pop-sickle. Now see I didn’t know how much work went into the Fourth Fest, how many people get involved in it and how many people came from across the country to spend their holiday weekend here in my State College until two years ago. Two years ago I started volunteered to help out with face painting at a children’s booth at the Fourth Fest. As my day at the fest went on I slowly learned about the Penn State community's involvement in the renound community celebration. Students and organizations specifically came back to State College to help out run the Fest. I didn’t realize how much Penn State was a part of my community until then, later that night as I layed in the grass of the V.I.P. section, front row I got chills as fireworks exploded in the air above my head. For the first time in my heart I clumped the phrase Penn State with State College and my home. These fire works are what I consider to be my first exposure to the very diverse very interest world of arts and Penn State University.


Color: The colors of my font and text are white and black to keep things clean and nice and easy to read. The background colors and specifically the colors of the fireworks (red, white and blue) instill pride in my blog and reflect the pride I have for my community.  


Miscellaneous: The extra page I added called “Fun Fact of the Day” is to expand the mind of my audience, well also I love to look up fun facts so I figured why not share my hobby with the world? The purpose of this blog is to expand my audience’s mind, to show the reader a variety of point of views. The fun facts will first of all be a fun read for my followers and will also expand their knowledge of things that may be deemed as “insignificant” or “random”. Maybe after reading these fun facts these topics will not be seen in such a light, maybe by reading my posts and my fun facts my audience will gradually realize the important role small, random and quote “insignificant” things can play in their life. Maybe just maybe society’s view of the arts will sway maybe society will realize the importance of art within a person, a childhood, a community and even a university.




 





No comments:

Post a Comment