Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Bed of Roses" ~Bon Jovi

The Arboretum
 
           









     
             So, as you may know yes I am a towny ( and if you didn't read my "About Me" page :P ). "The Arboretum" is almost legendary to me. In high school everyone talked about it I'd hear "Oh we need to take pictures at The Arboretum," I'd shrug it off. I drove by that beautiful architectural fountain almost everyday of my life. I remember wondering what that fountain was, it evoked a sort of curiosity and adventure but I never brought myself to go. I've see Prom pictures by the hundreds on facebook, but I never consciously understood that behind them was this beautiful treasure right here in State College. I honestly never knew where The Arboretum was until this year, the morning I moved into East Halls at Penn State. The fountain, caught in my memory, enticed me to go to it. The first night I was close to the gardens was with my friend Taliya.
 
         We earlier that day picked up audition forms for one of the accapella groups at Penn State. We were anxious to practice. But where could we go at 9 o'clock at night and sing our lungs out without  hurting others ears? I suggested the fountain. Granted it was quite the walk, but once I stood in front of the it, I was speechless. I stood completely still staring at it for probably a good 2 minutes. Which is along time for me to be speechless :P. It had some kind of beauty, some kind of wonder and it was in my reach. I was tempted to jump in, sadly with one dip of my foot I realized the water was too cold. As we focused and searched for the perfect songs we sat around the illuminated fountain when, a couple, dressed nicely walked around the water holding hands. We quickly stopped our loud singing and tried to not act embarrassed of the singing they heard. Like a typical nosy teenage I veered around the fountain to see what they were up too. The man slowly released the grip of his hand from hers. And quickly wrapped his left arm around her waste and brought his right hand up to meet her left. With a slow rocking back and forth, they smiled and looked into each others eyes. OK, so this may seem alittle creepy, I promise I didn't mean to be watching so much! But this moment is caught in my mind, this garden to me holds an element of fantasy and romance. 
         

          So basically before this past trip I'd only ever been to the fountain once. I went on Saturday this past weekend. This was the first weekend in five weeks I got to spend time with my boyfriend Justin (who goes to school in Pittsburgh). The weather that day was slightly grey, and cold. But the romance of the garden still gripped my being. From the breath taking flowers, to the slightly strange, peculiar flowers, to the bushes and trees and interesting architecture The Arboretum is absolutely perfect. I have never spent so much time looking at nature. Understanding nature and loving nature. One good point Justin had brought up as we were walking was the perfect symmetry of the flowers. It's amazing that something can be so perfect. Every single petal molded and constructed to match. Granted nature can have its flaws just as anything can. But people hold nature and flowers to such a standard, one of perfection and beauty. It was interesting to see flowers that had little wrinkles , creases and imperfections. The abundance of flowers was impressive but the variety of the flowers impressed me more. The colors of flowers pop with such brilliance and beauty. They are bold and beautiful and yet extremely delicate.

 
 
 
        As Justin and I walked through the Arboretum it began to rain, so of course we ran for cover. We sat on the pebbled ground under the beautiful entrance canopy spot. Not one made of  flowers but one with beautiful, white curtains. We looked at the view of the land stretched out in front of us. He said " This is what I miss the most." The amount of beauty that is around us State Collegians every single day is so enormous :P . Going there has made me appreciate the beauty of my surroundings more. It gives me chills. It makes me fall in love with nature, the colors, the smells, the symmetry, the beauty and ultimately life. I hope people appreciate it as much as I have and will for the rest of my life.
 
 




    




1 comment:

  1. Ariana--

    I am stealing this phrase: "some kind of beauty, some kind of wonder." Wow.

    Sometimes the places that are right under our noses are the hardest ones to appreciate. Glad you enjoyed. :)

    Remember to leave some white space between paragraphs so your readers' eyes can rest.

    S

    ReplyDelete